According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”
- An estimated 2.5 million people are in forced labour (including sexual exploitation) at any given time
as a result of trafficking
- The majority of trafficking victims are between 18 and 24 years of age
- An estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked each year
Water and Sanitation
- Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation
- Some 1.8 million child deaths each year as a result of diarrhoea
- 1.4 million die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation
- 2.2 million children die each year because they are not immunized
- Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds
- One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night
- Half of all children under five years of age in South Asia and one third of those in sub-Saharan Africa are malnourished
We CANNOT be ok with this!
At Crossroads Church, we believe in missions. We believe that we are called both as a church and as individuals to “make disciples of all nations” Matt 28:19, and that the most effective way to do this is by showing God’s love. We believe that we are to "Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Speak out, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy". Proverbs 31:8-9, and so we choose to see the lonely, the poor, the sick and the hurting and we choose to respond. We believe that the the same Spirit that enabled Christ to say, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed." Luke 4:18, is on us and will, by His grace, enable us to do the same.
May God bless you with a restless discomfort about easy answers, half-truths and superficial relationships,
so that you may seek truth boldly and love deep within your heart.
May God bless you with holy anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
so that you may tirelessly work for justice, freedom, and peace among all people.
May God bless you with the gift of tears to shed with those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation,
or the loss of all that they cherish,
so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and transform their pain into joy.
May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you really CAN make a difference in this world,
so that you are able, with God's grace, to do what others claim cannot be done.
And the blessing of God the Supreme Majesty and our Creator,
Jesus Christ the Incarnate Word who is our brother and Saviour,
and the Holy Spirit, our Advocate and Guide,
be with you and remain with you, this day and forevermore.
Copyright 2007 Crossroads Church
Crossroads Church, 3455 US Hwy.90 W., Seguin TX 78155, 830 379 7737